Chinese Eggdrop Soup
For 4 people ()
- 1 medium egg
- 2 stalks escallion
- 3 cups clear stock
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Beat the egg lightly. Cut green parts of escallion into tiny rounds.
- Put the stock in a saucepan or wok and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a minimum.
- Slowly pour in the beaten egg, either through the gap of 2 chopsticks or along the back of a fork held about 8 to 10 inches above the saucepan.
- Keep moving the chopsticks or fork in a circular motion so that the egg covers the whole surface of the stock.
- Remove from the heat and cover for 45 seconds, to allow the egg to set into tender flakes.
- Add the salt, sugar and soy sauce, and sprinkle on the escallion. Give the soup 2 or 3 generous stirs.
- Transfer to a large warm soup tureen or individual soup bowls and serve immediately.