Other Names: "Blue Draws" or "Tie a Leaf"
A traditional Jamaican snack
For 8 people ()
- 4 cups Grace Cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups raisins (optional)
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg, grated
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 4 cups Grace Coconut Milk
- 1 piece quailed banana leaf
- 0 INGREDIENTS FOR ORANGE SAUCE:
- 1 large orange
- 0.25 teaspoon orange rind (zest)
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon rum (optional)
- In a bowl, combine Grace Cornmeal, flour, raisins (if used) nutmeg and salt. Make a well in the center.
- Combine sugar, vanilla and Grace Coconut Milk, and mix well until dissolved.
- Pour liquid into dry ingredients and combine to a dropping consistency.
- Drop by tablespoons on pieces of quailed banana leaves.
- Make a parcel and tie with cord or strips of banana bark.
- Place into boiling water and boil for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
To Serve: Serve with an Orange Sauce
- Grate orange to obtain rind and extract juice, set aside.
- Mix corn flour, sugar, orange rind and water and pour into a sauce pan and bring to a boil; stirring constantly until clear.
- Remove from flame add the orange juice and rum and mix well.
Method Note: Quailed- to place over heat, until shrunken.